In March 1891, a student publication called The Lantern appeared at then University of Deseret. Students assumed all responsibility, financial and otherwise, and were supervised by a faculty committee. For lack of subscriptions and other support, the light of The Lantern went out in June 1892. The next quarter, University Librarian George Q. Coray with students to consider restarting a student-produced publication. The outcome was a weekly called The Chronicle, and its first issue appeared on December 16, 1892. In 1946, it began publishing daily issues (when classes are in session), and it continues publishing to this day.
We extend our thanks to Greg Thompson, Walter Jones, and Paul Mogren for the loan of the original newspapers for scanning.