Beginning in March 1891, a student publication called the Lantern began publication at the University of Utah. This was done by students who assumed all responsibility, financial and otherwise, but under the supervision of a faculty committee. For lack of subscriptions and other support, the light of the Lantern went out in June 1892. The next quarter, however, Professor George Q. Coray, experienced in journalism, met with students to consider renewing publication of a student paper. The outcome was a weekly newspaper under the name of the Chronicle. The first issue appeared on December 16, 1892. In spite of various early financial problems, it has continued to this day, and since 1946 it has been a daily newspaper.
We extend our thanks to Greg Thompson, Walter Jones, and Paul Mogren for the loan of the original newspapers for scanning.