1881 - 2008
The Park Mining Record began publication February 8, 1880. The name was shortened to
The Park Record in 1884.
Printing moved from Park City to the office of The Morgan County News in Morgan for distribution in Park City on April 19, 1956 and continued until 1960. The Summit County Bee and Park Record was formed by the union of The Summit County Bee and The Park Record and was published from July 7, 1960 until July 2, 1964. The publication split back into two newspapers, The Summit County Bee and The Park Record after July 2, 1964.
The Utah Digital Newspapers Program would like to extend its most sincere thanks to the
Park City Historical Society and Museum, the
Park City Library, the Summit County Library, the Park Record, and the Utah Department of Heritage and Arts for their generous donations and the loan of their
original newspapers for the creation of this collection.
Need HELP using this page?
The Park Record
A city-wide fire in Park City on June 19, 1898 destroyed the offices of The Park Record,
along with its collection of past issues. According to Alter, Early Utah Journalism,
the destroyed issues were mostly replaced from a private collection of a mining company official in Park City. The earliest
issue in the digital collection is dated June 5, 1880.
From the June 25, 1898 issue:
"The Record is under deep obligations to the Salt Lake Herald for the appearance this week as usual of our paper. Our own plant being
completely annihilated, the kind offer of Manager McDaniel of the Herald to print the paper at his establishment was gladly accepted.
... Park City is filled with brave men and brave women, men and women who, by nature, occupation and surroundings are eminently fitted
to fight life's battles and make the most of the gifts with which God has endowed them. They are a rugged, free-born and self-reliant
class of people, who breathe pure air, eat wholesome food and have no knowledge of the small conceptions of life."