Beginning in March, 1891, a student publication called The Lantern began publication at the University of Utah. This was done by students who assumed all responsibility, financial and otherwise, but under the supervision of a faculty committee. For lack of subscriptions and other support, the light of the Lantern went out in June 1892. The next quarter, however, Professor George Q. Coray met with students to consider renewing publication of a student newspaper. The outcome was a weekly newspaper under the name of The Chronicle. The first issue appeared on Dec. 16, 1892 and publication continued to this day. Since 1946 it has been a daily newspaper.
We extend our thanks to Greg Thompson, Walter Jones, and Paul Mogren for the loan of the original newspapers for scanning and for providing historical background information.