The South East Independent began life as the Sugar House Bulletin, which was created by Theodore Cannon and Wilby Durham during World War II. D. James Cannon purchased the Bulletin from his cousin Theodore in 1946 and remained as publisher until 1952. Tom and Bob Evans bought it and changed the name to the News-Bulletin. They remained owners and editors until 1955. There was a brief period of time in 1953 when the Evanses leased the News-Bulletin to George Ferguson and Lyman Duncan. The Evanses eventually sold the paper to Clair and Emma King in 1955, and the paper was rechristened The South East Independent. Courtney H. and Ruth Brewer purchased it on June 9, 1958, and published it as the Salt Lake Valley Courier. Tom Notestine was briefly publisher until the demise of the paper on July 21, 1960.
We extend our thanks to the Utah Department of Heritage and Arts for their generous funding and the loan of the original newspapers for scanning.