The Gunnison Gazette was founded in 1899 by Nephi Gledhill and Son. Like many newspapers, ownership passed among several families. Howard W. Cherry bought the newspaper in 1919 and renamed it the Gunnison Valley News. The May 2, 1919, stated: "The Gunnison Valley News will mean all that the name would imply. In carrying out the policies adopted it will be the purpose to tell of the rapid growth that is in store for the valley, to exploit the new industries that are being established here and to keep the outside world posted on the coming 'garden spot' of Utah." Upon the death of her husband, Howard Wesley Cherry, the paper was published by his wife Orsa Hurd Cherry and later by his son, Howard Cherry Jr.