The Emery County Progress began publication in 1900 in Castle Dale, the county seat. The September 15, 1900 issue stated: "The publishers of The Progress have purchased from Mr. C. A. Hyde the printing material, presses and plant of the late Emery County Record, and perhaps with our next issue, at any rate not later than the first of October, will print The Progress at Castle Dale. It will take a week or ten days to get the plant cleaned up and in shape to get out a paper. It is expected to have a man here in charge of the plant within the next few days, but it may be a week or ten days. After the first of October we shall be prepared to do job work of all kinds, and solicit the patronage of all. In 1957, the paper merged with the Green River Leader to become the Emery County Progress-Leader. In 1977 the name was changed back to Emery County Progress.
We extend our thanks to the Emery County Archives for the loan of the original newspapers for scanning.