At the base of the high mountains in Utah's Summit County, the settlement of Coalville (know originally as "Chalk Creek") was founded as a farming town about forty-five miles east of Salt Lake City. After the discovery of coal deposits in the surrounding hills, the village quickly grew. Over the next twenty years, a series of mining ventures produced a wealth of "black gold" for Coalville and the surrounding towns. Beginning in the 1890's, Coalville saw a number of newspapers come and go. Read more.