The Brighton Record was a weekly newspaper published from 1890 to about 1895. It served Brighton and other West-of-Jordan developments with an appealing mix of graphics, features, and news. Its co-founders included C. H. Janes, Editor, and Edwin W. Senior, Brighton’s founder. As an orphaned child, Edwin was taken in by his British grandparents, converts to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They emigrated with him to Salt Lake City but died by the time he was 12. He then worked herding sheep. Before turning 30, he had become a prominent self-educated lawyer, and the West Side’s leading developer. In 1888, he platted Brighton (then called Garden City) about 3 miles south of the present Salt Lake City International Airport. It quickly grew to over 1,000 acres, including homes, businesses, schools, parks, post office, and a church. Offering low prices, easy terms, and novel guarantees, its goal was to fulfill home-ownership dreams for blue-collar families. It prospered for five years but was bankrupted by the ruinous Panic of 1893. Most residents left and most businesses failed. Decades later, pre-WWII development caused the eviction of remaining residents and levelling of all structures.