Bingham Canyon was formerly a mining town located on the eastern face of the Oquirrah Mountains in Salt Lake County, Utah. In its heyday, the town had approximately 15,000 residents, resulting from the rich copper deposits in the canyon being developed. In 1891, the Bingham Bulletin, edited by Edward K. Watts, debuted. The Bingham Bulletin was respected for its mining reports and boasted subscribers in Boston and New York. The Bulletin went through several editors and in 1908 was being published by T.L. Holman as the Bingham Press and in 1912 by Charles P. Diehl at The Press Bulletin. Several more editors followed, and in 1927 it was sold to Walter C. Adams who changed the name back to Bingham Bulletin. The newspaper subsequently changed names several times: The Bulletin 1928-1934, The Bingham Bulletin 1934-1961, and The Bingham Bulletin of West Jordan in 1961. As the mine expanded, it gradually devoured the town of Bingham Canyon which had disappeared by 1972.
We extend our thanks to the Utah Department of Heritage and Arts for their generous funding and the loan of the original newspapers for scanning.